Gumshoe & Gal

Once a thriving, non-shinobi village located in the Land of Fire, Tanzaku Town has been reduced to rubble, with nothing but desolation for miles around.
Hizashi
Konoha Jonin
Konoha Jonin

Re: Gumshoe & Gal

Post by Hizashi »

Humming the tune for a few more minutes, Hizashi eventually took note of the fact that Momiji seemed to have slipped off into slumber. He kept humming for a little bit longer, just in case, before eventually falling silent. While Momiji had said that she could find the sound of the rain somewhat unpleasant, Hizashi didn't share that opinion. It was, somehow, relaxing. Like a sign that no matter what happened, no matter what was going on, sometimes it would rain. An everpresent constant that reminded him that life always carried on. Provided they didn't get caught by their pursuers, the two of them would eventually be back in Konoha, and life there, too, would continue on. Sitting in the silence, Hizashi could only wonder slightly what exactly that might mean for Momiji.

Eventually, the burden of crouching became too much, and Hizashi conceded that his pants were destined to get dirty. Somewhat reluctantly, he shifted onto his knees, in a typical sitting position, resting his weight on the backs of his legs so as to not get any more of himself wet and messy than was necessary. Then, he closed his eyes, too, and folded his hands on his lap. Not to sleep, but simply to wait, think, and listen to the sound of the rain. Occasionally, his eyes would open, just to check that Momiji was still sleeping, and softly regard the redhead's slumbering form.
Momiji
Mercenary

Post by Momiji »

The rain pounded down around her as Momiji stood, her knees bent in a slight combat crouch. Red hair matted to her head, clothes clinging to her shapely form as, exhausted, she panted for breath. The constant feeling of raindrops pounding down upon her only seemed to emphasize the desperation of the situation, as though the weight of her next actions had taken physical form. Teal eyes flicked from one shadowy figure to the next as they closed in upon her with ominous steps. It felt as though they'd been chasing her forever, and no matter how many she washed away, another stood ready to take their place. "This is ridiculous..." she said with a slight edge of fear in her tone. "I can't be worth all this."

One of the men chuckled, stepping forward into a light she hadn't before noted. The familiar stern, slim face of her uncle stared down at her, a slightly smug smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Well, for the amount I am paying them, they ought to be at least this persistent," he replied. "Now, quit making trouble for everyone, and just die quietly." His words caused a flare of indignation combined with a streak of terror. If he had actually hired the Kido Butai, then would she really be safe if she were to return home? Just as she also wondered where the other man, the Hyuuga, had gone, a splash behind her caused her to whirl. "Our investigator, killed by terrorists. So sad," the Uzumaki clan head mused as she watched the burned man sink into the deep, dark water.

The Uzumaki whirled, and dove into the lake, cold slipping into her very core like a knife. Somehow, she could still hear her uncle laughing in that muted, joyless way he had as she descended, working her arms. I can't see him! Where is he, she wondered, kicking and turning her head, red hair floating and whipping this way and that. A distant glimmer of movement caught her eye. There! Momiji swam rapidly toward it, diving further, and further, the small bit of light coming in from the surface growing ever more dim. Laughter, and rain, and her lungs screaming for air and her limbs aching and cold, all of it combined in a confusing fashion she didn't understand - all she knew was that she had to reach him. Panicking, the redhead realized she had gone too far down for her breath to support a rise - how deep was this lake? Then, she saw it - a figure reaching up to her as though beckoning. She rapidly turned toward it and kicked, hard, sending herself sailing toward it. That form was joined by a second, then, and, confused, Momiji paused, floating slightly in the water, when in the murky darkness a third, smaller figure appeared, all reaching up to her. This wasn't what she was looking for, but something inside told the girl she had to reach them, a sensation of desperate need that had her continuing to sink, following the trio into that darkness. Finally, her will to hold her mouth closed left her, and bubbles escaped from her trembling, begrudgingly parted lips. Some said that drowning was a gentle way to die, but to the terrified, thrashing Momiji, it was agony. She needed to reach them. She needed to live. She couldn't go back. Trapped, she kicked, and water filled her lungs with a burning sensation in her nose.

Blue eyes snapped open, and Momiji's head rose quickly, a soft sound of panic leaving her as she twisted her head back and forth, a long moment of confusion occupying her. She spied Hizashi, sitting in the dirt now, and her expression grew guarded, a rush of embarrassment turning to anger as she quickly looked away. She didn't know how long it had been, but the dream had seemed to take an eternity. This one hadn't been good, even the fading pieces she could still remember bringing back those sensations of betrayal and death. "Watching me sleep?" she asked in a teasing tone, asserting herself to try and take a sensation of control back in the situation. "You are kind of creepy."
You love me for everything
Strength: Poor
Constitution: Masterful
Stamina: Epic
Reflexes: Proficient
Coordination: Masterful
Wisdom: Masterful
You hate me for
Hizashi
Konoha Jonin
Konoha Jonin

Post by Hizashi »

While the faint signs of unpleasant dreams might go unnoticed by unobservant eyes, Hizashi's own pale set were particularly adept, even by shinobi standards. A mixture of kekkei genkai and hard work, the detective was not keen on inching by through luck and birth alone. Even amongst his clan his eyes might have been considered well trained, something that probably only furthered the bitterness of his own dynastic feud. He thought about reaching out and gently stirring Momiji awake, but he hesitated at the last moment. They were strangers, really, and certainly she didn't seem to trust him. Not that he took any offense to that, it was smart enough not to trust strangers, but what right did he have to shephard her thoughts and her dreams?

Eventually, she seemed to stir awake of her own will, and seemed to comment on the way that he glanced at her. In reply, he raised a questioning eyebrow. He wasn't sure what she had dreamed about. Maybe her family, or maybe the thugs that had been chasing them. Either, as he seemed to gather, might be unpleasant subjects for her. "Would you be saying that if I were your type?" He asked, voice soft, teasing, a slightly raised tone as if taunting her gently. It was a melodious voice, not deep nor particularly high pitched. It was, simply, his own. Eventually, figuring it better not to press her on the subject matter of her dreams, he opted to change the conversation entirely. "Are you hungry?"
Momiji
Mercenary

Post by Momiji »

Her eyes once again slid under half lids in order to see him, Momiji's hair falling across her eyes a little as she shifted. "If you were my type, I doubt I'd just be sleeping in here," she replied, and by the description she gave, it was probably true. "Though I might say it, sure. Even if it was just to tease," the girl continued, sounding as though she considered the words just before saying them. In truth, she didn't have the confidence to say that she would, or would not, do such a thing, but if it were a lie, she could at least amuse herself by imagining what might happen if it were true. "I guess I could eat. I had intended to grab something from a stall back in Tanzaku."
You hate me for
Hizashi
Konoha Jonin
Konoha Jonin

Post by Hizashi »

Snorting slightly at the - was it an innuendo? - that Momiji replied with, Hizashi's normally almost expressionless demeanor broke for a moment, before he recovered himself. "You're a strange one," he admitted, pressing his hands to his knees as he moved into a standing position, taking a few steps out of the protective shelter of the tree and out into the rain. "But then again, I guess we all are." Relatively quickly, the white-eyed man rid himself of his small traveling pack and the slim tunic that covered his torso, revealing a pale chest, but toned, as one would expect of a shinobi. He tossed the bag and shirt to Momiji, an implicit instruction to keep it dry while he was gone. His pants were already dirty now, but he wanted to keep at least something dry and clean throughout this whole process.

"I'll come back with food," he replied, before turning and disappearing through the heavy foliage. The rain was cool on his skin, but that was almost refreshing, as if somehow reminding him that he wasn't in a dream. With his kekkei genkai, he was able to track down his quarry easier than most. He wasn't certain of their exact location, but knowing that they were within traveling distance of the road between Konohagakure and Tanzaku Town, a semi-well traveled path by shinobi, that there would be field kits hidden in little caches along the way. It took about a half-hour before he was able to find one, buried slightly in the ground other a conspicuous marker stone, and return with it to the three where the two of them had made temporary residence.

Crouching down and moseying into the little nook beside her again, Hizashi set down the dirt covered case and carefully undid the latches, raising up the top of the case to reveal its contents; a variety of packaged and shelf-stable foods and drink. A mixture of cheaper junk-food and snacks, along with powdered drink mixes, dried and hardened foods akin to rations, a few kunai, medical supplies, and other basic shinobi and exploratory equipment. Labeled on the inside of the case was a number, which Hizashi would need to report when he returned, such that this case could be marked off and possibly replaced. "A bit better than food pills," a slight idiosyncrasy, but he preferred fresh, well fresh-ish, food over the little capsules that some shinobi used to sustain themselves over long missions. It was a bit of a morale boost, and certainly more pleasant.
Momiji
Mercenary

Post by Momiji »

Momiji thought she might point out how strange it was to continuously point out how different she seemed from the people he had met, but instead just shrugged. He did not seem someone who often did as they pleased. Perhaps that was why he seemed to be so surprised at her for almost everything she said or did. Finding that as the only explanation, Momiji found herself raising an eyebrow as he took off his shirt and tossed it, as well as his small travel bag, at her. She had still been leaning forward, chin on her knees, so it mostly just hit her and landed on her cloak. The shirt covered her face, and with an annoyed gesture, she pulled it away. By the time she'd done so, he had fled, as though anticipating her wrath. "Ooh, great, leave me here alone," she murmured into the wind once he was gone, dropping the shirt on top of his bag and frowning. Her dream came back to her in part, then, little wispy figures and a laugh that held no joy. The redhead curled her arms around her knees a little tighter, turning her gaze back out toward the rain once more, as though to watch for danger.

She wasn't certain just how long she had sat there before he returned. It felt as though it were a long time, but then again, she hadn't exactly been counting the seconds. When he did crouch under into the area, she sat up again, more alert than she'd been before her little nap. With a small sigh, she leaned over and took a long look over the contents. With a scrutinizing expression, she squinted and plucked a piece of dried plum from the container, placing it between her lips. She chewed, finding the taste actually rather good. "Thanks," Momiji stated simply before picking up a handful of peanuts and beginning to pop those into her mouth, too.
You hate me for
Hizashi
Konoha Jonin
Konoha Jonin

Post by Hizashi »

Watching as his companion begin to eat, though thought about making a pithy comment that he was actually surprised that she was thanking him, but instead he held that in, opting instead for a bit of silence as he sifted through the food, as well. A piece of dried meat, a bit of chocolate, and other little pieces. It seemed like it was more focused on hitting certain caloric intake goals rather than being any particularly kind of balanced or thematic meal, but as cold and rainy as it was, Hizashi didn't mind too much the lack of any cohesion that was present in the meal. After having a few more bits of food, he eventually reclaimed his shirt and eventually pulled it back on, relishing the slight feeling of warmth and protection that it provided.

Eventually, Hizashi spoke up, while picking absent-mindedly at a small handful of nuts. "You know, I ran away from my family, too," he said, figuring that, given the circumstances, Momiji had probably, at least partially, done something similar. She certainly didn't seem to like her family, at least. In that sense, he felt like they might have had something in common, and he felt like his words might have offered some slight amount of comfort. He felt bad for her; that was true, but beyond that, he felt like they might have been broken in similar ways. Beyond simply pity, guilt, or sympathy, there was a bit of kinship there.
Momiji
Mercenary

Post by Momiji »

The way that he quietly began to eat made her wonder if maybe he had actually been the hungry one. She supposed that it could have been both concern for her and a desire for his own satiation. He did seem the type, at least. Being honest, she might prefer someone who seemed annoyingly interested in her well-being than someone only interested in fucking her. Certainly, that might be fun, but probably dirty and uncomfortable in the tiny space, and likely not very productive. Aside from that, they usually became a little unbearable shortly after, and if she had to share the space, well... at least Hizashi wasn't that bad.

At his words, she allowed her face to become somewhat neutral. "I was just on vacation," she replied. I didn't run away from them, they were taken, she had wanted to say initially, but that sort of thing might have given him some kind of pity for her. "Don't get things mixed up."
You hate me for
Hizashi
Konoha Jonin
Konoha Jonin

Post by Hizashi »

Brow furrowed slightly at her reply, Hizashi had to admit he didn't know her very well, so he couldn't really gauge whether he felt like that was a lie or not. If it were so simple, he didn't think he'd have been contacted to go and find her. That being said, it didn't necessarily speak to anything other than an unorthodox family life, and that could mean any number of things. It wasn't really his business to get involved. In his line of work, it was usually preferred that he did not, or that he did not ask too many questions. He didn't favor those jobs, though. If they didn't want you asking questions, it's usually because they knew that you would refuse if you had all of the answers. He hummed something of affirmation, probably sounding half-sarcastic as he did so, as he munched on a few more of the nuts.

"And how was your vacation?" He asked, the question a mixture of earnest and probing. Certainly, she was probably a competent liar if she wanted to be, but he would remember whatever she said, and it was usually easier to point out a liar over time than it was for the liar to maintain every lie that they told. There was a chance she was being truthful, in which case his question made for valuable smalltalk, anyway. But if not, maybe whatever she had to say would be useful later.
Momiji
Mercenary

Post by Momiji »

His next question seemed investigative, almost as though he didn't believe her. "It was fine. I went to a very nice place in the Land of Hot Springs. I can't say I enjoyed the company, but the place itself was good," she replied, weaving in a bit of the truth. "Honestly, I needed to relax, but I ended up leaving early." Momiji shrugged. "The walk back hasn't been anything to write home about." Pulling her bag out from under her knees, she stretched out again on the cloak, rolling her neck. A soft moan left her lips as she curled her toes in and tried to loosen her tight calves and knees, pulling her arms taut and arching her back. "The hot springs are actually really good, though. I'd recommend going if you have a chance."
You hate me for
Hizashi
Konoha Jonin
Konoha Jonin

Post by Hizashi »

While Hizashi might have otherwise scoffed at the idea of such a presumably picturesque vacation, going there with a girl like Momiji certainly made it a more tantalizing possibility. With a slight smirk on his face, though saying nothing that might give away the reason why, lest he somehow be taunted by her again, he leaned his head back against the tree, letting his muscles slowly rest, his own eyes drifting closed now. "Your turn to keep watch," he quipped, already folding his arms back behind his head, as if engaging in the act of going to sleep would preclude her from somehow arguing against what he said. He normally wasn't the type to get a lot of easy sleep on the job, but he supposed that was perhaps the perk of traveling in the company of someone else. Especially, in this instance, someone who seemed relatively competent, and as a result, that he could trust to actually keep a sufficient watch. "I'm trusting you, so don't fuck it up."
Momiji
Mercenary

Post by Momiji »

He smirked, but kept his own confidence. Momiji wasn't sure if that expression was meant to throw her off, or if he had decided on some conclusion (that she couldn't help but suspect was wrong). In either case, he leaned back against a portion of the tree that was a little lower, the roots woven together to allow even the taller ninja to lean back and rest against, and informed her that he intended to rest, and thus she should watch. The Uzumaki figured that, if she were alone, she might have done so anyway - if she had stopped at all. In truth, when it rained, she had an advantage over opponents in that she did not have to really create water herself. If she had traveled by herself, she might have opted to rely on this instead of stopping.

At his final comment, however, she bristled slightly. If he trusted her, then he didn't think she would fail. If he didn't think she would fail, the only reason to tell her not to was just to be mean. "Fuck off, needle dick."
You hate me for
Hizashi
Konoha Jonin
Konoha Jonin

Post by Hizashi »

If he had any response to her reply, he didn't show it. Instead, he let himself doze off, keeping the satisfied smirk on his face. The sound of rain slowly faded into the background, replaced by the rhythmic sounds of his own breathing, supplemented slightly by the softer sounds of Momiji's own. Somehow, he had the feeling that the retort that she offered was probably something that she used frequently. It seemed her type, given that otherwise they didn't really know that much about each other. Relatively contented, he eventually found that it was his turn to drift into a light sleep. It wasn't that he was aggressively tired or anything, he had not exerted himself so particularly as he had in some other days, but he had certainly expended some of his stamina, and more than anything else, there was a weariness that had worn into his bones from the rain and the wind. While not a heavy or deep sleep, it would be a good rest, at least until something stirred him back to consciousness again.
Momiji
Mercenary

Post by Momiji »

As he seemed to drift off, the redhead's ire faded. It annoyed her that he seemed completely unrepentant to his remark, but she also realized she couldn't make him retract it without a prolonged argument, and after her desperate dream, she wasn't in the mood for anything she might consider a protracted engagement. He'd get away with it this time. She might have her revenge, even if it was in her own way, and he might not ever know it. Her senses turned outward as his breathing turned rhythmic, and she wondered briefly if he avoided sleep like she had, or perhaps if he simply had exhausted himself trying to find her. If he hadn't been hired to do it, she might feel affection for someone who pushed themselves to such a length just for her. As it stood, he had been very mercenary about it, which hadn't really endeared him to her. He's pushy and annoying. He thinks he knows better than I do, and isn't really shy at all about jumping to conclusions about me, she thought, then remembered feeling something akin to fear for his wellbeing. Did she dream about him? Ugh. Maybe he died. I guess I'd feel bad if he died.
You hate me for
Hizashi
Konoha Jonin
Konoha Jonin

Post by Hizashi »

While Hizashi was used to life on the road, which included less than comfortable sleeping conditions, sleeping in this cramped little nook was particularly unpleasant. That being said, he could only figure that it was better than the alternative, which was the wet, cold, and soggy road outside. His sleep was dreamless, though, and in a line of work like his, that in-and-of itself was probably a blessing. After some small amount of time, he was stirred from his rest, and considered himself lucky enough to have even gotten that much, given the conditions. He certainly had a cramp in his neck to show for it, which he attempted to ease by rolling his neck slowly in a few circles. He might have yawned, had he not quickly gathered sight of the redhead nestled beside him, and he managed to preserve his stoic-faced dignity, and the illusion of his stonefaced demeanor. "How long was I asleep?"
Momiji
Mercenary

Post by Momiji »

As his breathing slowly became something less automatic and more controlled, Momiji let her eyes slide from their watch of the splashing rain to Hizashi's burned face. She did admit, to herself, a little curiosity on what happened to him. She had more tact than to ask, however, even with her irritation at him and his attitude toward her. He moved, and she tilted her head to watch as he rolled his neck, and seemed to take a tighter hold on himself as he opened his eyes and beheld her. "Mm. Half an hour, maybe," she replied. The rain hadn't let up, yet, but she hadn't seen any signs of their pursuers, either. Perhaps they'd simply given up - that would be the best for all involved. They could just walk back as soon as the rain stopped. "Looks like we'll be here a little while longer," she continued. "I think it'll probably be done soon, though, and we can head out." She shifted again, stretching her legs once more and arching her back, feeling and hearing her spine crackle a bit as she did so.

They did, in fact, have to wait a bit, but soon the rain let up. While continuous pursuit and a little harassment hampered their return to the village, the pair made it, together. From there, they went their separate ways.

[End]
You hate me for

Return to “Tanzaku Town”